Sunday, November 15, 2009

Praise God From Whom ALL Blessings Flow!

I have no greater joy than to hear my children walk in truth. 3 John 4. This is my favorite verse. It is my greatest desire that my children come to the Lord at an early age and follow Him throughout their lives. Well, my heart is full and couldn't be happier right now. This is what happened at church tonight...




My Son is following Jesus!


He has prayed to ask Jesus in his heart several times in the past 2 years. The first time was when he was 5. We were at the table eating lunch and said the blessing and then he bowed his head and prayed silently. He wouldn't tell me at first what he was praying, but then he told me he asked Jesus into his heart. I didn't push the issue and there have been 3 other times the past couple years that I know he prayed "the prayer." But Lance and I both agreed that walking the aisle to profess his faith in Jesus wasn't something that we wanted to push him into. We wanted it to be between him and the Lord.


About a month ago, he wanted to go to "big church" (will we ever grow out of calling it that??? :) ) with us and we let him. Our pastor (who is a friend of ours) led the congregation that day in the sinner's prayer and I heard Luke whispering the prayer along with him. During the invitation, I was trying to get him to walk down the aisle, but he wouldn't do it. He kept saying he was scared. I admit that I pushed him too much and should have just shut up. Lance gently stopped me from talking to him anymore about it. (Thank the Lord for a wise, Godly husband!)


The next weekend, the kids were staying at my parents and Luke got up about 11:00 crying because he didn't want to go to church the next morning. He had lied to one of his friends and he didn't want to face him. He was under conviction. It wasn't just an instance of knowing he'd done something wrong; he was broken over it. It was further confirmation of his real conversion experience.


Then tonight, the girls preschool choirs were singing at church. We don't usually go on Sunday nights, because it is family time for us when Lance is home with us. But we were there because of the girls. (and they did GREAT! I was so proud of them!) Luke sat with us during the service and when it came time to close the service, Wes said he was going to give an invitation. He led the sinner's prayer again and I heard Luke whispering it. When Wes said "amen," Luke looked at me and said, "Momma, I'm going down this time. I'm not scared anymore. But I'm going by myself." Then he looked at Lance and said, "Daddy, I'm going down, but by myself."


When will I ever learn that I'm not in control? God has everything under control and doesn't need my help. My son's salvation was between him and God. And God is big enough to talk to Luke without my interpret ting or prodding or interruption.


Luke was so proud. So many people came up to us and him after church and hugged us and told him congratulations and told us how happy they were for us. Luke said to everyone, "I gave my heart to God." We called both sets of grandparents and aunts and uncles. He said the same thing to everyone!


Praise God from Whom ALL blessings flow! My boy's name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life!


Now on a funny note. :) We went to get something to eat after church and Sara heard Luke say that he "gave his heart to God." She got this funny look on her face and said, "No you didn't!" Later, she looked at me and said, "Momma, does Luke really not have a heart?" haha! How literal children are!!!

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing testamony for Luke and his family. I love how God teaches us at the same time He's teaching our children. As parents we still have so much to learn. The bible says to come to him with childlike faith. Thanks for sharing and what a great picture.

    Luke will always hold a special place in our heart.

    ReplyDelete