Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Simple Things

It happens everytime we camp.  I long for a more simple life.  :)  I have the fleeting dreams of selling our house, pulling the kids out of school, Lance quiting his job, and us just living in our camper.  And traveling, and spending time with each other with no pressure or stress from the world. 

And I've really thought it out.  It's actually doable.  Lance could pull about 4 night shifts a month in the ER and we could live comfortably.  And we could homeschool the kids and take them to all the places in the US that they study about.  And what better teacher than Lance???  He's so knowledgeable in so many areas.  And I could do the english and reading. 

I'm telling you, I've really thought about it!  Ha! And times like tonight at our farm reinforce my thoughts.  Life is just so much more simple there.  Lance had Luke, Hope, and Emma most of the day while Sara and I went to a birthday party.  Then we got supplies for burgers and went out the the farm with them.  The kids played for hours outside with NO TOYS!  And we sat around a campfire grilling burgers and then eating ice cream sandwiches.  :)  It makes me long for a life without so much stress.

But then I get to thinking about what it would mean for us to do that.  The kids wouldn't have consistent interaction with the same friends.  We wouldn't either, and when we did, we couldn't entertain people at our house (which I love to do) and we would run the risk of becoming isolationists! Ha!

Don't think sometimes, I don't secretly long for it anyway.  :)  But it does make me stop and think about what is important in life.  And think about what I need to cut out of our lives to slow down a little. 

2 comments:

  1. Just move to Africa and experience the simple life but you would still have friends. I know for sure your husband could get enough work to keep him occupied!!! Love y'all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I yearn for this MANY days. Philip thinks I'm insane!

    ReplyDelete