Saturday, May 29, 2010

First Full Day in Haiti

I don't even know how to begin. There are so many emotions surging through me right now. We've set up a clinic today and ministered to over 200 people. It was heartbreaking, amazing, and exhilarating all at the same time.

Most of the children are the happiest things. They aren't used to seeing white people, so we were quite a novelty. Most of them would smile at us shyly while others were brave and smile and wave at us. One little girl said something to me in Creole but my translator had stepped away. She was grinning when she said it and seemed a little embarrassed. When my translator got back, I asked him to ask him to ask her to say it again. He did and smiled when he looked at me. "She said, 'she loves you.'" So sweet. I took a picture with her, but it takes too long to upload here.

We saw several older people. One lady 88, one man 80 and one lady 90! The 88 year old was spunky! Several of our team were taking pictures of her and she was hamming it up! I got my picture taken with her.

And there were so many heartbreaking cases. One lady probably has cervical cancer, one little girl with possible leprosy, one lady with severe edema in her arm, one little girl with a damaged eye who will never see out of it again. It is hard for me to think that if any one of these people were in the states, they wouldn't be experiencing this heartache. They could be treated.

Driving through the country of Haiti is an experience that I can't describe. Even with Lance telling me about it and seeing the pictures he took when he was here the first time couldn't prepare me. I know it's a futile effort to try to explain to people when I get home. There is no way to comprehend it unless you are here to see, smell, and taste it. Utter devastation and abject poverty. The only hope these people have is Christ.

I am so excited to be able to share this with Lance. He is amazing. Even his translator jokingly said he needed a break because Lance was so fast. And the love on his face for these people is evident. God had the best in store when he prepared Lance Faddis for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment