Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Mighty Hand of God

It's been a wild 3 days. I don't usually post about world events because I started this blog as a way to remember what's going on in our family. But, the 2 have collided at lighting speed in the Faddis Family this week. There was a devastating earthquake in Haiti on the 12th, 8 days ago. The estimates are anywhere from 50,000 - 100,000 dead. Thousands upon thousands are injured and thousands of children orphaned. I have to be honest when I say that I haven't wanted to know what is going on there. I know it sounds horrible, but 5 years ago when a tsunami hit Indonesia, I was heartbroken. It was horrible devastation and it was so hard for me to take in all the hurting people. So I haven't wanted to go there with this tragedy. It is so heartbreaking.

But that all changed Monday with a phone call from Lance. I was standing in the checkout line at Old Navy when my phone rang and Lance told me he had talked to a good friend of ours who is the Missions Pastor at our church. He then said that they were thinking about going to Haiti. I told him that I could not discuss it right then and that we could talk later that night.

I had assumed that John and called Lance about going, so I was surprised when Lance told me that he had called John. I was upset mostly because I was fearful. It is so unstable there right now. And there are tens of thousands of doctors around the world. My husband didn't need to go into such a dangerous situation. But God's plans don't necessarily line up with our plans. And there is no denying the hand of God on this trip.

Lance and John talked Mon. Tuesday they had contacted a missionary in Port Au Prince, had a place to set up a "clinic", have a place to stay and have secured a flight into Port Au Prince. And now here we are at Wednesday and there are 12 people going. All doctors, nurses and 2 pastors.

They will be staying at a church on a hill overlooking Port Au Prince. They are going to be sleeping on the ground in sleeping bags behind a locked gate in the courtyard of the church. There is no running water, no toilets, no food. They are taking tents, sleeping bags, water purifiers, protein "gu", dehydrated food, and medical supplies.

It is going to be rough. And that's an understatement. I am so proud of Lance. God called and he answered. In 36 hours, he has mobilized doctors, gotten medicines donated from 3 hospitals, and made contact with military personnel that are helping in Haiti. Those things weren't done by him, but by God, through him and I'm so proud that he has listened to His call.

Now I have to say in all honesty, that I'm scared. It is literally like a warzone there. Today there was a 6.1 magnitude aftershock. There are looters in downtown Port Au Prince. It is just unsafe. But I know that God has called and He has a plan. I have no choice but to trust Him. So, I will pray (a lot) over the next 2 weeks. (He leaves on the 28th and returns on the 2nd.) And I will lean on my Father knowing that He has my husband in His hand and He will protect him and use him to minister to the hurting people of Haiti.

So if you're reading this somewhere out in the "blogosphere", :) I covet your prayers for Lance and the team as they minister in Haiti. And for all of the other workers who are there and who will be going. We cannot imagine the devastation that the people of Haiti are living through. The only hope they have are in the Lord.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Jennifer. This post made me cry. I will pray for Lance and for you and your kiddos.

    I've been so personally affected by all this. The guy that was rescued (from Co Springs) used to work with John, and the other guy from here that is still missing is a close friend of a couple of my friends. When these crises happen in the world, I usually feel no emotional attachment but the situation in Haiti has really been different for me. My heart has been wrenched by the images coming out of Haiti, and I keep wishing I could do more than give money to help.

    Proud of you guys. And will definitely pray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing the team will be to those experiencing such utter helplessness! Keep us updated!!! We will be praying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying Jennifer! I know that God has great things planned for this trip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,
    I have worked at several clinics and I can honestly tell you I am honored to work for Dr Faddis, his belief and compassion are such a part of him that it is reflected in our clinic. I love your little family and am so grateful to know all of you. I'll be praying for him while he's gone and for you and the kids. Holler if you need anything. God Bless.
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer,
    I was so moved, both by your post and the news story! What an awesome testimony of God's grace, love, power, peace, and confidence that we ONLY have through Him! Such an amazing example of Matthew 5:16. May our God be seen and Him alone be glorified! Lee and I are already praying and will continue! We love you both!

    Hebrews 10:35-39 "So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. For in just a very little while, He who is coming will come and will not delay. But my righteous one will live by faith. And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him. But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say is WOW! And if I was a doctor I'd so be contacting your husband to go, too! What an awesome answer to a might call, and a huge leap of faith. I know you are scared out of your mind for your husband. And have every right to be, but how proud of him you must be, too! I will for sure be praying and going to link to your blog on mine, not that I have a whole ton of readers, but every prayer counts!

    Good luck to your husband and his team and will you please keep us updated about them as you hear from them!

    And, your family is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be praying! The neurosurgeon I work for in Little Rock left Friday. He is working in a hospital near the palace. He will be there until this Friday. His name is Sam AlMefty if you are so lead to pray for him as well. God BLESS you and your team!

    ReplyDelete