Sunday, January 31, 2010

Emotional Day

First of all, let me get something out of the way. I cannot believe how many people have been reading this. It actually blows Lance's mind! Ha! I'm no Kelly'sKorner (love ya Kelly!) but I've been having close to or over 200 people read this everyday. Crazy! I appreciate everyone who has left comments encouraging me through the past week. Now here's the thing...I have no idea how to respond to you! I'm muddle my way through technology. I'm not totally illiterate, but I'm not too computer savvy. I have tried to respond to each and every comment, but I found out from a friend that they haven't gone through. So I want to tell everyone who has commented, THANK YOU!!! You're words have been such a comfort to me this past week. (and if anyone can tell me how to respond to comments, then I would greatly appreciate it!)


Now, on to my day! :)


We went to church today. I almost didn't, but John was going to call live from Haiti and I didn't know if I would be able to see Lance (if they did Skype) or at least hear him, and I didn't want to miss that opportunity. Plus, I haven't left my house since Thursday afternoon. Two words...CABIN FEVER!!!


I'm so glad we went. John just called and talked to our pastor while they showed pics from Haiti. It was very emotional. It's the most I've teared up this whole week. John got emotional because he was at an orphanage and the conditions are just so horrible. He told me later in a text that the average 9 year old weighed 25-30 pounds and was only 3 feet tall. My heart breaks. Those are pre-earthquake conditions. And he said that all of them had intestinal worms. I just cannot fathom.


Lance worked at the shanty village today. John told me in a text that it was a very difficult place. I didn't have much time to talk to Lance about it today. I'll process that with him when he gets back. He did say when I talked to him tonight that he is amazed by the Haitians cleanliness. There is a creek that they have been driving past everyday and everyone in the community bathes in it together. He said it was a strange sight, but there's just a bunch of naked people taking a big bath together! And they wash what little clothing they have everyday. Their driver is obsessed with keeping his car clean. They take pride in what pitiful amount they have. So humbling. I sit here looking around my house at the piles of laundry just thrown on the floor. How do I justify that? I can't even put into words my emotions.

Lance briefly told me about the worship service they participated in today at the church were they did clinic yesterday. He said he was amazed at how the people dressed. They showed up in suits and tie, and dresses and high heels. When he was telling me that, I thought of a conversation I had with Sara recently. She asked me why we dress up for church. I don't want to offend anyone here, but these are my feelings on the matter and what I told Sara. In the Bible the people brought their best to the Lord. We are commanded to give our firstfruits, not our leftovers. I explained to Sara that God wants our best. So how is Sunday different than any other day if we don't dress our best for the Lord? You can take that too far and say, well why not formal attire, but that is missing the point and getting pretty legalistic and sassy if you ask me. I'm just not one for jeans and shorts for church. (And I'm not legalistic about that! I wore jeans today actually because of the weather. ha!) I just feel that we should make Sundays special.

And to hear that the Haitian people have that reverence for God despite their circumstances and lack of all that we have. Humbling.

I cried some at church today. How could I not? It's the most emotional I've gotten. But when John was speaking about the orphanage and the abject poverty, his voice cracked and everyone in the room started crying. God is developing a burden and love in my heart for the people of Haiti. I cannot wait to get down there and share His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment