Thursday, February 12, 2009

Strep, Ughhh!

So you can tell from the title of this blog, I have strep. It is the first time I've ever been diagnosed with it. I don't have a fever, just a very sore throat. My glands are swollen and it hurts to swallow, but I don't feel on death's doorstep like I've heard strep does to people. Lance has been concerned that I might have it since Hope had it a few weeks ago. He wanted me to come to his office to get a swab for strep. Sure enough, it was positive! He called me in some antibiotics and he had one of his partners call him in some. (we have been kissing a lot lately!) So, that means Hope was on 10 days of antibiotics 2 weeks ago; Emma started 10 days of antibiotics last week because Hope had been kissing her and it's hard to see the strep in babies; Sara is on 10 days of antibiotics because she has scratched her eczema spots so much they got infected. That makes 5 out of the 6 of us on antibiotics. Yea! (catch the sarcasm?)

Just to touch on Sara for a minute. She suffers from eczema. I can't tell you how many people tell me, "oh, I have that" or "my child had that" or "have you tried..." I sometimes just want to look at them and say, "you have no idea what you're talking about!" I don't. I know they mean well, and I appreciate their concern, but they really have no idea how severe hers is. It is the worst case Lance has ever seen. The poor child has wounds all over her body and she scratches so much that she has scratches and scabs all over her body, too. We have tried everything. Seriously, everything. She has been on 3 different antihistamines, 2 different topical steroids, benadryl, and we coat her body with eucerin cream every night. My heart breaks for her. She is such a trooper. She never complains and I can't even imagine how it hurts her. She has never know any different. It is much worse right now than it has ever been. We have had her tested for allergies and she has none. We have an appointment with a friend of Lance's who is a dermatologist. She saw her once before when she was two, but we want her opinion to see if there is something we're not doing. We are realizing that the only thing we can do for her is pray. Not that we haven't been doing that, but it is the only thing that is going to heal her. We are even considering asking our pastor to anoint her with oil and lay hands on her and pray. It is a horrible thing that she is going through.

Speaking of Sara, today she said the funniest thing. She is my girly girl. She is a princess. She loves dresses, jewelry and makeup. Today all three girls and I were at Wal-Mart. I was looking at some pajama tops and we passed the nighties. It's very close to Valentine's Day and there were a lot of them! When we passed one, Sara pointed at it and said, "Momma, I like that dress with the booby covers. It's pretty." I about died laughing right there in the pj section! It was hysterical. Then she got embarrassed because she thought I was laughing at her. I had to explain that I was just laughing because it wasn't a dress, but it was pretty. She's going to laugh when she's older and I tell her what she thought about nighties when she was 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment